Monday, August 8, 2022

Orcas Island Pottery


Old wooden signs lead through the woods on a curving dirt road. Beyond the wooden fence you enter a magical property perched above the Puget Sound, tucked in the forest, brightly flowered. You’re greeted by three herds of friendly critters.  






A treehouse overlooks it all: weather-worn wooden buildings that house showrooms and workrooms, and picnic tables displaying ceramic dinnerware.




A few pieces dazzled me...the gold-rimmed vases with horsehair designs burned into them, and the raku spheres that the artist called Prayer Malas.



As I purchased an armadillo for my sister and her husband's garden, I chatted with one of the elder craftswomen.  I mentioned I'd long ago studied with Paul Soldner.  She, with a big grin, led me to the back room and this poster which, she said, they'd been repairing for 40 years:



After a good laugh, I told her how a man at my art reception had responded when I mentioned I'd studied with Paul...he asked, with a wry smile, if I'd been "one of Paul's girls."  Of course now I understand much better what he meant.     (Be sure to read the box -- Paul was advertising for his company which sold hand-built wheels and clay bodies.)  Paul told me he'd get me into his grad program at Scripps if I wanted.  I think I'm glad I chose to spend a year in Europe instead, but not sure.  How different would my life have been?






No comments:

Post a Comment