Thursday, October 17, 2019

Color and Light

                                       

I headed out towards an obscure canyon, having heard it was beautiful and had some amazing petroglyphs.  But the road was too long and lonely -- I do have my limits.  So I stopped short, at a promontory wedged between a towering red mesa and a sinuous canyon.  It was impressive, but I figured I’d head back the next day.




I puttered through dinner and some reading...then the show began.  The cliff behind me curved slightly and the rising moon brushed its peak with pearly light.  I watched spellbound as that light crept down the wall into the canyon.  It was as if pixie dust were filling up the canyon’s vast empty space.





The magic dimmed as the moon rose higher, but dawn brought new delight.  The morning sun ignited all of last night’s surfaces with its glow, and it rose above the mesa in time to salute the setting moon.











I hadn’t realized when I arrived that my spot would offer such magic.  It’s all about the light!  (That's Monument Valley on the horizon.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just discovered your blog and I'm really enjoying your thoughts and photos. I will be digging down through your posts, getting more macro and granular.

    ReplyDelete